Do you care if I am honest? I am curious to know the answer ! The world around us is changing so fast that I wonder if honesty has any place in our lives anymore. Especially in the business of Real Estate, where we are dealing with someone’s life’s savings, I would think it should be the utmost consideration for a client. Yet I see agents who are conning consumers blatantly and getting away with it!!
Since the market shifted two and half years ago, I am witnessing the onslaught of fly by night agents, discounters who buy their business by offering very low commissions to sell or buy homes. I understand the need for the consumer to save on their money but at the loss of quality of service?
Here is what happened to me in the search of saving a buck or two. I recently ordered clothes online from a known departmental store, thinking I could get deals on their clearance items. I was getting sale coupons in the mail, like there is no tomorrow, so I fell prey to the marketing gimmicks! I spent money, got my clothes delivered and immediately realized I had been conned. The quality of the clothes was very inferior and the fabric was horrible! And then I realized that when I go to the brick and mortar store, the quality of the clothes is different. So they are selling their reject clothes online on discounts and making money of unsuspecting consumers like myself.
If I take the same analogy to my business, I witness this every day. Agents are offering discounts but here is what happens to the unsuspecting consumer:
1. These agents double end the deal, hiding other solid offers from other agents in the desire to make the full commission
2. The house information is incorrect on the marketing and MLS
3. They block other agents from showing the house they have listed
4. The consumers are told that if they want a discount, they need to go look at houses themselves and they will write offers. I say why even pay them that money for a half baked job?
5. Slimy business tactics are abound when phone calls from other agents are not returned or consumers are told blatantly at open houses that they need to write the offer with the listing agent or else they won’t get the house!
6. Fly by night agents with no experience can put consumer in legal harms way but not guiding them correctly on disclosures which have a three year statute of limitations. Your buyer can decide to sue you ,while you try to hunt down the agent who represented you- who may be working as an engineer at a large company or at home depot or may have gone out of business.
Honesty has been my selling proposition- Always. To me that is most important ingredient of a successful life and career. Why are consumers being swayed and putting themselves in that position? I have always preferred to be honest, upfront and hold high values and standards in my life and career and am proud that my clients have valued me for that. As much as I desire to make a fortune in my career path, I simply cannot bring myself to be dishonest and slimy. Why are you letting yourself be taken for a ride? These are not clothes or merchandise you can return at the store, this is your life’s BIGGEST transaction!