Is it beneficial to have an Open House?
With the new year around the corner, it is a likely time for homeowners to begin thinking about putting their house on the market. If you’re considering making a move in the near future you must prepare your home for sale. This means beginning to clean and de-clutter your home, examine your finances, replacing and repairing anything that needs work, and hiring a real estate agent.
Many sellers ask us if it is beneficial to have an Open House? There are many advantages to having an Open House for your home. There is a lot to be said for showing your home this way. Here are just five reasons why having an open house will help sell your home:
- It gets eyes on your home – Open houses draw in visitors more than a simple listing would, and brings potential buyers who would otherwise be unmotivated to book a showing. Friends and family mention the event to everyone they know, providing a reliable source for referrals. Neighbors dropping by may have someone in mind who they want to move into the neighborhood. Adding advertising and Open House signage catches the eyes of both casual and serious prospective buyers.
- You can set the scene your way – If prospective home buyers stop by your home for a traditional showing, they often do it with little notice. It can be stressful keeping your home “show ready” for the entire duration that it’s on the market. Keeping wastebaskets empty, floors free of clutter, ensuring that the laundry doesn’t pile up, and making sure the floors are swept can be stressful. It’s much easier to do deep cleaning on one day to make your home spotless for everyone who visits. With an Open House, you’ll be able to prepare for a specific date and time bringing everyone in at once. You can even bake cookies or fill vases with fresh flowers!
- Lock in that interested buyer – An Open House creates an opportunity for a potential buyer to bring their friends or family along for their opinions. If your house has caught the eye of a potential buyer, they might be willing to come back for another look in a less formal setting. Walking through an Open House provides a visitor with plenty of time to look around without feeling rushed.
- Buyers can compare and contrast – There may be several Open Houses on one weekend in a particular location. Interested buyers looking in your area can “comparison shop” by seeing multiple Open Houses. This could give you an opportunity to make your home stand out from the crowd.
- You choose the timing – Some weekends see a lot of Open Houses, some see very few. Sunday, April 21st is National Open House Day. Keep this date in mind if you are thinking about listing your home next year!
Holding an Open House has the potential to put your home on the real estate map. Working strategically with your real estate agent to schedule and organize a successful Open House could help you jump start on a sale.
As an agent, I do extensive marketing on the internet and in your neighborhood to ensure that lots of potential buyers will come to your Open House. I will be there to answer any prospective buyer’s questions.
Do you know of anyone interested in buying or selling their home? Contact me to answer any questions about the home buying/selling process.
5 Reasons Why Having an Open House is Beneficial